VWA New winery Checklist:
- Establish your winery business name and file with the State Corporation Commission if a partnership, LLC, or corporation
- Get a business license in your local county
- Get your Licenses
- Federal and State Alcohol Licenses (allow 6-8 months prior to beginning production)*
- State license – Farm Winery A – ABC License Form
- Federal – TTB Winery Packet
- Virginia Retail Sales Tax Account *
- Review Mandatory Label Requirements *
- Get Label Certificate of Label Approval *
- Order labels
- Order bottles, corks, and foils
- Glasses for tasting room
- Insurance *
- Point-of-Sale Materials
- Self-distribution/Virginia Wine Distribution Company *
- Contact – Virginia Wine Marketing Office *
- Join VWA!*
Resources for many of these items may be found on this site.
*Look at the Industry Links and Preferred Partners pages for more information on these items or call us if we can be of assistance.
The New Winery Checklist is meant to be for informational purposes only. Due in part to the evolving nature of the laws and regulations impacting alcohol manufacturing, distributing and retailing, the Virginia Wineries Association expressly disclaims any representation, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness or fitness for a particular purpose of the information contained in The New Winery Checklist. Persons accessing this information assume full responsibility for the use of the information and understand and agree that the Virginia Wineries Association is not responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage arising from the use of the information.